~Rumi

All day I think about it, then at night I say it. Where did I come from, and what am I supposed to be doing? I have no idea. My soul is from elsewhere, I'm sure of that. And I intend to end up there...Who looks out with my eyes? What is the soul? I cannot stop asking. If I could taste one sip of an answer, I could break out of this prison...I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way. Whoever brought me here will have to take me home.

Search This Blog

08 September 2009

Autistic Aspirations: Do We Have the Same Chances?


I love books. I love writing. That's a photo of the Young Adult section at Forbidden Planet. That's right, the awesome UK bookstore on 179 Shaftesbury Avenue (London). There's also a Forbidden Planet in New York City.

E.'s current goal = published author.

Imagine the excitement of having your novel showcased in a bookstore window for passersby to see. How about a shelf dedicated to your novel or book series?

Over the last two months, I've been on an Aspitude! hiatus in order to complete a manuscript. My project is a Young Adult read that fits into both the multicultural and paranormal genres. Will it be published? Will it be graced with an intriguing cover? Will it be placed on the same shelves next to other young adults titles that we know and love?

Getting published essentially boils down to the luck and skill of the writer. That noted, if both skill and luck are maximized, will I be passed over anyway because I often use non-standard communication?

Individuals with unique communication styles often remain in the dark, living behind shadows from which they are allowed only to peek and watch from, cut off from equal participation in a world that often spins too fast.

Writing is my ideal mode of communication. Written words come more quickly to me than speech. Perhaps I can compose a decent query letter to a writer's agent, but would I be just as convincing over the phone? Sometimes I do things that non-autistic people think are strange--like providing unexpected responses, or not looking people in the eyes as I speak. Despite my differences, I deserve to be judged with a fair hand.

All people have fears. But for some, we carry not only our allotted fears, but our fears of being passed over or misunderstood because we are different.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoy reading the writing you share at Aspitude and feel the passion in what you write.

    Your courage and determination as well as your ability to show personality and humor in your writing while covering serious topics is a gift that I and am sure many others look forward to seeing you continue to share with the world.

    Keep pursuing your passion and I believe the publishing will eventually follow! (I keep telling that to myself as well!) :-)

    Wishing you the best!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your generous thoughtful comments--I wish you the best too! Keep me posted on your successes.

    ReplyDelete