~Rumi

All day I think about it, then at night I say it. Where did I come from, and what am I supposed to be doing? I have no idea. My soul is from elsewhere, I'm sure of that. And I intend to end up there...Who looks out with my eyes? What is the soul? I cannot stop asking. If I could taste one sip of an answer, I could break out of this prison...I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way. Whoever brought me here will have to take me home.

Search This Blog

04 May 2010

Breaking Boundaries: The Art of Alex Masket


This film has been accepted to the Berkshire International Film Festival. View and vote for this awesome documentary by clicking here (scroll down to Breaking Boundaries)!


Breaking Boundaries spreads a positive message about autism that is free of fear-mongering and pity, a terrific way to raise autism awareness.

Dr. Kathleen Hull of Rutgers University spoke eloquently on the subject of autistic communication, expression, and humanity. She put it well by stating that instead of pathologization of autism, why not explore it and discover how autistic individuals see the world? This idea is fundamental to education. Why not approach autism as a theme and open our minds to ask what it means to be a human being.

As mentioned in the documentary, Alex's nonverbal nature has forced the art community to question standard communication, as his artwork is deeply articulate. Alex's communication and language is visible. And it teaches us that verbal ability is not linked to our intelligence or to our ability to communicate in powerful ways.

Alex's mother made an especially poignant statement by expressing that Alex has spent enough time trying to be who everyone else wants him to be. Now he is showing us who he is, as in: This Is Me.

Elesia gives this film two thumbs up! What a wonderful message. What a wonderful world. What a wonderful way to reinforce the concept of a social model of disability.

Check out Alex on Facebook by clicking here.

You may peruse Alex's Photo Gallery at his website (www.alexmasket.com).

5 comments:

  1. Alex has some trippy art! Great composition, color choice, and abstract representation. I wonder if he has synesthesia like I do (two senses being triggered at once, eg. association between colors and letters).

    I guess he would prefer it if I say this directly to him rather than on a post about him :D Does he have a blog? I only FB people I know at school.

    I just keep all my work hosted on DeviantArt, as I am not ready to publish my personal info on a website. Yet I love communicating with other artists, whether or not they are autistic. It is the best way to create social networks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a friend who has synesthesia--very cool. Alex does not have a blog that I know of, and his FB page is maintained by his parents on behalf of him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fantastic work. He is also featured in this month's UTNE reader. I was also thinking of Peter Blake's Alphabet Soup when I was looking at Alex's work. Peter is not autistic (to my knowledge).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Estee,

    It's a pleasure to have you stop by--thank you! I appreciate the UTNE source. All my best! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found information about you while researching for a curatorial project I am working on titled, Full Spectrum, that will investigate notions about autism with artists who come from the viewpoint of self-identified autistic, parent, sibling, researcher or other connection/interest in spectrum culture, issues, genetics and health, philosophy, education or relationships.

    I would like to ask you for advice in finding neurotypical artists that are making contemporary art conceptually related to autism issues or are collaborating with autistic/aspie artists and to find autistic artists who are working in new media or with contemporary approaches like video, performance and installation.
    you can reach me at cyndemiller@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete