ASAN - OHIO had a successful protest against Autism Speaks in Columbus, Ohio at Ohio State University. The four-hour protest attracted media attention, in addition to independent reporters. Protesters raised the same points as other ASAN chapters:
- Autism Speaks funnels only 4% percent of solicited monies back toward the families and communities it drains.
- Autism Speaks fails to include autistic people--other than in token ways--in their decision-making.
- Autism Speaks puts monies toward eugenics.
- "Autism Speaks can't have autistic leaders or board members because autistic people are incapable of making important decisions."
- "Are you all stupid? You're all stupid!"
- "Go home! You suck!"
- "You're a bunch of idiots!"
- "How do you sleep at night?"
State Representative, Ted Celeste, stopped by to listen to, as well as applaud ASAN - OHIO for their message. "You're all heroes," he commented.
Benzion, an autistic person in support of ASAN - OHIO, said, "Autism Speaks is focusing on curing autism...not being able to live with, not integrating autistics. Two years ago, I very naively came to Autism Speaks to walk for autism, until I learned I was a disease that needed to be cured."
To view footage of ASAN - OHIO's protest, click here. To view their blog, click here. To view the ABC news report, click here.